[tex-k] dvips produces postscript which bombs out

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 26 02:11:08 CEST 2003

Thanks much for looking at this Tom, and for the explanation. I'll file
a bug report with ImageMagick.

> I'm sure there's an option to create an ASCII EPSF; I'd use that.  The
> increase in space shouldn't be more than about 25% for that graphic.

You're right, turning the compression off in IM (option +compress)
makes the whole process work. The non-compressed .eps file is over 10
times as big, but that's not a primary concern.

---

> Ghostscript (ps2pdf14) obviously does not evaluate the "%%BoundingBox"
> comment and assumes letter paper.

Yes, gs writes the current page size (A4, etc) into the pdf. I don't
know the specs for pdf and whether this is a bug in gs. Copying the 4
bbox numbers from the eps into the pdf makes things work (this could
even be scripted). Haven't tried gs 8.

> ImageMagick's png->pdf conversion obviously doesn't support transparency,
> (at least it does't work for me) but I must admit that I have a too
> old version.

IM 5.5.4 and 5.5.7 produce a .pdf which, after going through pdflatex,
does not show up as transparent.

How do you preview an eps or pdf and determine whether it has any
transparent areas? I haven't found a way yet to do this with gs or gv.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.