[tex-k] duplex and tumble support in dvips

Stephen Gildea gildea at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jun 16 14:10:39 CEST 2003

What would you say to adding support for Duplex and Tumble in the same
way dvips 5.86 currently supports manualfeed?

I was trying to explain to a friend how to get her book manuscript to
print 2-up, signture format.  It would have been so much easier for me
to explain (and her to do) if dvips had built-in command-line options
for duplex and tumble.

Built-in support would generate better DSC compliance, too.  Currently,
I request duplex/tumble from a LaTeX \special or a dvips -t option.
These put the duplex/tumble setpagedevice code into a ProcSet in the
prolog.  But setpagedevice belongs in a Setup section.  Having dvips
know about duplex/tumble would allow the correct DSC to be output around
it.

This shouldn't be hard to implement.  I would start from the contributed
volker Postscript code.  I would even write this myself, if you would
take it.

 < Stephen