[tex-k] DVIPS resolution/snap grid spacing

M. Shell mshell@ece.gatech.edu
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:17:30 -0400

 Hi folks,

Would it be a good idea if dvips offered an option to allow the snap
grid resolution to be independently controlled from that at which the
bitmapped fonts are rendered?

Let's say I am using type 1 fonts and have set my system to use a
fine grid spacing "-D7200" - for ultimately making PDF. (I've heard
of talk that future versions of dvips may offer something like "-D0"
as a way to turn off snapping altogether.)

Suppose now that, in addition to type 1 fonts, I need to include a font
that is available for inclusion only in bitmap form.

In such a case, I may wish to retain the fine (or off) setting for
the snap grid - because I am going to make pdf, but want to limit my
bitmap fonts to say, 1200dpi, to keep the file size down.

Am I misunderstanding something here? It seems strange that I can't
seem to find a post about this before.

 Mike Shell
 mshell@ece.gatech.edu