[tex-k] [comp.text.tex] web2c wish...

Tomas G. Rokicki rokicki@CS.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:29:26 -0800 (PST)

I think that TeX startup time is small enough, and the actual
real costs of a fork() large enough (with current copy-on-write
semantics) that just doing a re-TeX should be plenty fast.

The real thing needed in my opinion is to rebuild the links
from TeX->previewer that were in NextTeX and AmigaTeX, so you
can view a page as soon as TeX is done with that page and
not wait for the complete document---and so you don't need
another keystroke to pop the previewer to front.

Essentially, in one keystroke I should be able to save the
current document source, reTeX, and as soon as the currently
previewed page is processed, have it show up.  This all
worked great on the Amiga some 17 years ago and I've been
hoping to see it again soon . . .

It still does work on the Amiga, if you download AME, the
Amiga emulation environment, and run this on Windows, and
download and install AmigaTeX, and run an Amiga editor and
the Amiga previewer, but I don't think most of us want to
do this . . .

-tom