[tex-k] xdvi with gs 7.0.4, and a test for making good pdf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard@kammer.uni-hannover.de
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:50:27 +0100

    > I do not understand why they would consider /../ to be a
    > security risk - I mean gs is running under my user ID and cannot
    > read anything that I cannot from a shell prompt. With web
    > servers I can understand because they run with another UID.

It's because you can get a file from anyone else that might overwrite
your files or installs its own ~/rhosts.

    > Some of the more interesting tid bits is the discovery that
    > Acrobat reader will display Times Roman as Times New
    > Roman. (This is the result of another "Microsoft thing".) When
    > printing, the PostScript engine of the printer will restore
    > things to Times Roman (I _think_ that's where the final Times
    > Roman fonts come from), but Acrobat will have sent the printer
    > the Times New Roman metrics! So, you can end up having little

Sure?  Where should they come from?  The metrics come from your .tfm
file and that's for Adobe Times.  If you use Adobe Times for printing,
everything is ok.  And it's not the PostScript engine of your printer
that restores the correct fonts, but Acrobat itself.

The problem is that wrong fonts are used on screen.

    > problems like quote marks getting too close to letters. The only
    > way out of this is to subset and embed ALL the fonts used
    > including the base 14 ones. Recent versions of Ghostscript allow
    > this, I don't know yet if recent versions of pdftex do.

Yes, edit pdftex.map, though you must decide whether screen display is
so important.  The size of the file will increase, and most people
will not see the difference.  Compare the differences in the metrics
with screen resolution.

Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard@kammer.uni-hannover.de