[tex-k] Twiki is broken; sorry . . . let's use tex-k list if that's okay.

Olaf Weber olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl
09 Nov 2001 20:53:33 +0100

Stefan Ulrich writes:

> With a central repository, if e.g. Thomas would make some
> improvements to the autoconf system for teTeX, these would
> immediately be available to all of us.

Given the way I work, _any_ central repository that requires me to be
online to do work is not acceptable for me -- whether it is CVS of
Perforce does not matter.  (Nor do other people need thoroughly broken
intermediate code.)

On the other hand, I do not believe the value of a central repository
is necessarily to carry the work-in-progress.  It can be used as a way
to coordinate efforts, and prevent too large a skew between different
developers.  For that it wouldn't need to carry every change, just to
be updated frequently when there are changes to packages.

I like the current integration, but would also prefer it to be
"loose".  That is, the interdependencies should be as few as
reasonable, and well-known.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.