[tex-k] Twiki is broken; sorry . . . let's use tex-k list if that's okay.

Stefan Ulrich stefan.ulrich@elexir.de
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:26:53 +0100

Tomas G Rokicki <rokicki@CS.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Personally, I still prefer an integrated source to separate driver
> development.  Now these are not mutually exclusive, of course

Yes, that's the most important point IMHO: kpathsea can still be
developed as before, more or less; the difference would be that
it would be checked into a central repository, and the `driver'
authors and distributors would have the greatest benefit of this,
a common reference point for their packages/modules - unlike the
current situation, where nearly everyone is doing the integration
work on his own and consequently with a lot of duplication of efforts.

With a central repository, if e.g. Thomas would make some
improvements to the autoconf system for teTeX, these would
immediately be available to all of us.

> I think an integrated source tree based on perforce or CVS, from
> which people can pull tarballs or whatnot as needed, and intelligent
> use of branching, is attainable in the short term.

Hmm, maybe my suggestions with web pages etc. were going too far,
and we should aim at the `leaner' and quicker solution of
introducing a central source revision system first, and see how
this works out ;-)

--
Stefan Ulrich