Code repositories, was: Re: [tex-k] cm-super fails

Stefan Ulrich stefan.ulrich@elexir.de
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:26:48 +0100

sebastian rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>> > download the client, and what's the next step? Is there a
>> > web page with instructions on downloading TeXlive?
>> no. the answer is "point a perforce client at sun.dante.de:1666 and do
>> a "p4 sync" :-}

> I meant to say

>  p4 sync //depot/Build/source.development/...

> which shows four things

>  * the top level of perforce is "depot". we have just one at present,
>    called (boringly) "depot". we can have as many as we like
>  * TeX Live consists of "Build" (sources and suchlike) and "Master"
>    (the contents of the CD)
>  * Perforce does branching well. the source tree is there twice, as
>    "source" and "source.development". synchronizing the development
>    tree back into the release tree as needed is efficient and
>    effective.
>  * Perforce-ese for "all the tree" is "..."

OK, I've now downloaded the client and wanted to give it a try,
however I just wanted to check out xdvik, not the entire TeXlive
tree; so I did

p4 sync //depot/Build/source.development/teTeX-1.0/texk/xdvik/...
and got:
//depot/Build/source.development/teTeX-1.0/texk/xdvik/... - file(s) up-to-date.

I would have expected the files to be downloaded, but this didn't
happen; I'll probably need to dig more into the Perforce docs.
What seems to be missing is a stepwise guide for newbies on how
to check out the sources ;-) Compare this e.g. with
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=28782
At least for xdvik, we want to attract new developers, so it's
essential to have very easy accesability to the sources. (But
I understand that this might be different for TeXlive, or other
modules like web2c which are developed in a `Cathedral'-style
instead of a `Bazaar'-style, and rightly so.)

Are the change logs, diffs etc. available on the Web?
(E.g. something like viewcvs on
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jadetex/jadetex/jadetex.ltx.diff?r1=1.5&r2=1.6
I guess one could set this up separately though.)

It also seems that there's no integration into my editor as with
CVS (Emacs), so at the moment there seems to be no GUI available
at all (on *nix) ...?

Best regards,
Stefan