[tex-k] secure mode of dvips should be default

Thomas Esser te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:18:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> Good idea; we could have an autoconf check whether libgz is
> installed, and fallback to calling the gunzip/... executables
> instead. I've submitted this as a feature request for xdvik to
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=23164

You might even consider including these libs in the xdvik
distribution. At least, this is what I usually do for teTeX.

In teTeX, libgz is already included.

> But then we'd also need to update some documentation: Currenlty
> epslatex.ps and grfguide.ps list uncompression via shell escapes
> as (the only) example for using \DeclareGraphicsRule ...

Oh, well, teTeX's graphics.cfg already overwrites the defaults of the
graphics package and it is planned to include my changes into the next
release of dvips.def.

Including compressed eps graphics already works for dvips, dvipsk, xdvi
and xdvik. If the implementation is improved by using the libraries
instead of forking, it will be better. Changing epslatex.ps and
grfguide.ps is already a good idea and could be done right now.

Thomas