[tex-hyphen] hyph-utf8 update

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 26 21:24:02 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> Sadly it seems that I will have to remove the Georgian patterns. I've
>> been trying to reach the author since 21st May to get an answer about
>> the licence of the patterns and he doesn't answer.
>
>   Are you sure that Levan understands the issue?

I don't know. He is/was obviously not aware that anything is wrong
with not specifying the licence. But it would be nice if he would at
least reply to some email. All I know is that:
- I really need to release a new version of hyph-utf8 now to be able
to stick to the schedule
- Sooner or later there will be someone doing some licence audit and
start making problems if we keep patterns without a licence in the
repository.
- There is still time to add the patterns back if he replies in the
following few days.
- He created a font that was derived from DejaVu and forgot to change
many most basic things (I forgot the details, but it was something
like not even changing the author of the font).

I can put a LPPL licence to patterns myself, but I don't dare doing that.

> Licence problems can
> seem completely outlandish to people not familiar with the concept.

(Me included.)

> He
> seems to speak rather poor English, maybe we could attempt to write to
> him in Russian, for example (sorry, don't speak Georgian ...)

Please try to do that. I don't speak Russian, so I cannot help. One
could also try to ask on the XeTeX list if there is anyone who speaks
the language, but the time is running out.