[tex-hyphen] Changes in collection-lang*

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon May 13 17:42:24 CEST 2013

>     - Mongolian: (may be) written in Cyrillic script and hyphenation
>     patterns are for Cyrillic - how does one know where it belongs?
>
> If you think "cyrillic" is preferable, I'll move it.

  Yes, it is preferable.  Mongolian today is written primarily in
Cyrillic, not in the historical Mongolian script.  It might well be true
that Mongolian-the-language has more support using Mongolian-the-script
than using Cyrillic in TeX Live, be it only because of its complexity
(characters have different shapes depending on their position in the
word, and are written vertically), and I also understand that Mongolian
(the script) is given a status of "national script" in the Mongolian
constitution, but for everyday use, Cyrillic is used predominantly.

  (I feel I should also mention that the Mongolian script used to be
called the Uyghur script, after the Uyghur people in Central Asia, that
have their own language which was written in the Uyghur script, and also
in the Latin script at a later time.  Just to make things really clear,
Uyghur [the language] now uses Arabic [the script], and uniquely allows
hyphenation, contrary to all the other languages using Arabic as a
writing system.)

	Arthur