[pdftex] dvi output from pdflatex?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Aug 12 22:38:40 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 03:32:30 pm ivo welch wrote:
> Thank you, George.  Indeed,
>
> > "pdflatex --output-format dvi sample2e".
>
> gives me fine .dvi output.  I had not realized that a tex macro
> could have the capability of changing the output format.  What
> macros exactly have the power to change the output format?
>
> regards,
>
> /iaw

In pdftex and Context there are one line commands (not macros)  that
will change the output, assuming they don't get overruled on the
command line:
For pdftex:
\pdfoutput 1 %pdf
\pdfoutput 0 %dvi
for Context:
\setupoutput[pdf]
or
\setupoutput[dvi]

These are usually the first statements in the first file of the
compile.

No doubt pdflatex has something suitably more complex to do the same
thing.

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting