[pdftex] PTEX.FileName contains file system information

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Mon Aug 6 21:13:35 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>
>> But I'm concerned about pdfTeX unintentionally revealing:
>>
>> (a)  file naming conventions,
>> (b)  infrastructure information,
>> (c)  identity information.
>
> i see not problem with adding a
>
> \ptexinfo=0|1
>
> with 1 being the default (since we don't want to break downward
> compatibiity).

FWIW, this doesn't solve the problem of /unintentionally/ revealing
sensitive information, such as the name of an information source, e.g.,
when that corresponds to a file name.  I think, information distributed
along with a file should be obviously visible, e.g., when looking at a
file with a decent viewer or it should only be written intentionally,
such as, e.g., XMP data.  Data relevant for the work-flow shouldn't be
archived, by default, since it may be sensitive information.

Those users who know about PTEX.FileName have far better chances to get
TeX do what they want - set \pdfptexfilename to 1 - than those who don't
know - and needed to set \pdfptexfilename to 0.

I did not get much support for my proposal, so I think I should be
satisfied with a new primitive.  No need to discuss this further.
Honestly, thanks for your work on pdfTeX!

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig