[pdftex] Embedding movies or sound with \pdfannot

Daniel Flipo Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Fri Feb 20 18:08:46 CET 2004

Hi all,

I cannot get \pdfannot to include my movies. I am on Linux
(debian testing) and read PDF files either with acroread
(5.0 for Linux) or xpdf (v. 3.0).
I have pdfTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11a from the TeXLive2003.

I have tried several pieces of code given on this list
with no success, things like

\pdfannot width 4cm height 3cm depth 0cm {%
      /Subtype /Movie /Movie << /F (movie.avi) >>}

do not work on my system: nothing appears on the screen.
Adding "/Poster true" or "/Mode /Open" doesn't help!

Launching the same movie from acrobat with the code
\href{run:movie.avi}{Start}
instead of \pdfannot, works fine (gmplayer plays the
movie in a separate window).

Even on the example given by Ross Moore (13 Apr 2003)
 http://www.iciam.org/Plenaries/Klein/klein-movie.pdf
the movie supposed to be shown on page 2 (bottom left)
is displayed as a desperately fixed image in acrobat
on my system (clicking does not start the animation)...

My questions are:
- Is acroread-5 for Linux supposed to display movies
  out of the box?  Or do I need a plugin for this?
- What are the image and sound format legible in acrobat?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Daniel Flipo                                  Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
UFR de Mathématiques -- Bâtiment M2           Tél : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 75
Université des Sciences et Technologies       Fax : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 74
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex  France