[pdftex] pdftex 1.10a: Linux vs Solaris

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 13 23:58:09 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:45:38PM -0400, Igor Khomyakov wrote:

> > > These files have several differences ... what I meant was that it is not
> > > just the difference in creation date field.
> >
> > * /CreationDate
> > * Changes in the "random" part of font names that only contain
> >   a subset of glyphs.
> > * The linux pdf file have an encoding object that contains the
> >   differences for the glyph at position zero and the used glyphs.
> >   The solaris file contains a much longer encoding object, probably
> >   all glyphs, also the glyphs where there is no difference.
> >   Also the position of the object is an other: in the solaris
> >   version the object comes before the embedded font file,
> >   in the linux version afterwards.
>
> Why are the two items above different?

The probability that two random numbers are equal is not very high.
AFAIK the original name should not be used for subsetted fonts.

> I thought that cmr10 was included
> into tetex, and therefore should be exactly the same on Linux and Solaris
> ... should it not?

The indirect object 5 0 that contains the font with the
subset of glyphs is the same in both cases.

> Does pdftex use any OS dependent font resources?

It uses the installed and configured font resources. So you should
compare pdftex.cfg and the used map files and used fonts.
I think, with the same TeX distribution they will be equal.
But the question remains why the encoding difference object is
not equal in both cases.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>