[pdftex] producing a5 booklets from a4

Kester Clegg kester at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Jens-Uwe Morawski <morawski at gmx.net> writes:

[...]

> Running this file with pdflatex gives a doublesided A5 document with a
> small inner margin and a wide outer margin.

Please please read the initial email.  If you have got pdflatex to give
you a doublesided A5 document you are *not* repeating my test and I am
not the slightest bit interested!

> The re-arranging of those A5-pages on a A4-paper using
>
> texexec --pdfarr --noduplex --paper=A5A4 itsname
>
> gives a A4-paper with two A5-pages arranged side-by-side.
> No margin is added. No margin is removed.

That is the problem, IMHO.  Forget messing about with source documents.
Just completely forget that.  Let's just say I have an a4 pdf document,
typeset single-sided.  I don't care if came off the moon and was created
by a camel.  If I try to process that document using the parameters I
gave with texexec, the booklet does not come out right.  The pages are
all set with the same margin spacing, instead of being arranged suitably
for a book.  However, putting that same pdf document through the pipe
suggested by Ricardo means it *does* come out right.  Am I making myself
crystal clear?

It appears from your answer, that I am trying to do something that
texexec was not intended for.  That's fine.  I just misunderstood.  The
manual gave me the impression that it could rearrange the pages of an a4
pdf document, as it says:

        Given that the A4 version is typeset, one can generate a booklet
        by saying:

        texexec --pdfarrange --paper=a5a4 --print=up --addempty=1,2
        pdftex-t

Call me stupid, but I clearly missed what it meant here.  I thought I
could use texexec to rearrange the pages of an *existing* a4 pdf
document to make an a5 booklet, in the manner of psbook|psnup -2l can do
for a ps document.  If texexec can do this, correctly, please show me.
I would be happy to send you the pdf file that's comes out perfectly
through Ricardo's pipe, but doesn't when processed by texexec.

If texexec can't do what I want it (which I now suspect), then to
reiterate my question for the last time, is there something that can do
for a pdf document what a psbook|psnup pipe could for a ps document?
And do it correctly, as my (albeit botched) attempts at using texexec
for that purpose have ended in failure!

Kester Clegg                Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Associate (UTC)    University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 33 75        email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk