[pdftex] gif --> eps --> pdf. HELP ME.

Steffen Neumann sneumann at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

chiari mario <chiari.hm at flashnet.it> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> Please help me, a very simple minded user :-(.
Never mind, that's where we all start,
and software in general should be usable
by any user.

> I have a picture.gif I wish to embed in a .tex file. Eventually, I need
> both .dvi and .pdf output.
I know the problems you reported
from plain latex with eps Import.
Problems there are because Postscript
is a programming language (dedicated to describing Pages)
and imported eps pictures are "subroutines" with sometimes
undesirable side effects. I don't know if this explanation
holds if you're talking pdf, though.

> This is what I get. I tried two different route.
Try a third one ;-) Export *.png format
(Corel should be able to do that)
and import that in pdftex.

> A3- LaTex and respectively pdflatex
>
> .dvi output is fine
> In the .pdf output, the picture is very small, in the middle of a new page.
> It seems that an entire new page has been imported. Why?
Your subroutine (picture) might contain
the command for a new page, I'd blame Corel for that.

> the correct place, with the correct size, but it is all darkened. Why?
Corel might do some kind of color management,
or use the gamma value in that picture incorrectly.

So long,
Steffen