[metapost] Anyone have notes / test files for METAFONT?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Sun Jun 25 16:23:02 CEST 2017

Managed to get a bit farther --- using the Making TeX Work chapter made the
file "eight.mf" which mf would process w/o error (but I only got a .2602gf
file out of it, not tfm).

mf '\input eight.mf'

This file did process correctly using gftodvi, resulting in a dvi which
would open (previous efforts were 0 bytes in length)

gftodvi eight.2602gf

But, when I open it, the character is many times larger than it ought to
be, over-flowing the page --- how do I get it to be limited to the page in
question.

Is there some better way to do this? As I noted, what I really want is to
overlay the proof file and a vector image (though being able to also
overlay a pixel image would be nice for some instances).

William