[metapost] Metafun : is "atan" the arctangent function?

John Kitzmiller jkitzm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 00:21:19 CET 2014

On Jan 12, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Franck Pastor <franck.pastor at me.com> wrote:

> In each of these three examples Dirk's and Dan's definitions win the contest… But I'm not able to explain why.

Happy to lose the contest as it looks like we will all win in the end thanks to Franck's sharp eye!

I used arguments from .1 to 1.1 step .1 when testing and was working with degrees as output so atan(1) = 45. The consistency of atan vs. atand needs 'attending' to.

btw I extended the series out a bit in mp-tool and it did not converge quickly.

Also interesting that we are using calculators to test ;-) Thanks all!

John