[metapost] "input mp-tool" and "input metafun" do not work

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at mac.com
Fri Jan 4 18:45:04 CET 2013

Le 4 janv. 2013 à 11:00, Nicola a écrit :

> As for mp-tool, in fact mp-tool.mp does not exist any longer, because there are
> two “lines of development” for MetaFun, one for ConTeXt MKII and one for ConTeXt
> MKIV (the newer version). So, most of the files composing MetaFun now come in
> two flavors, suffixed .mpii and .mpiv respectively (they are in
> /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/metapost/context/base). I think that you are
> not supposed to include such files directly anyway.
>
>> Including the line "% !MPOST mem = metafun" does seem to remove the problem.
>> Thanks!
>
> You're welcome!
>
>> But, as you said, it is a workaround, so I suppose there is also something to
>> be corrected at a higher level.
>
> I do not know whether this is a bug or it is intended behaviour (after all,
> MetaFun was not meant to be used with Plain MetaPost, but with ConTeXt): my
> opinion is that compatibility can be easily restored (you just need to change a
> dozen = into := in mp-base.mpii). But you should ask in the ConTeXt mailing list.

With MetaFun, it is sometimes difficult to know where MetaPost ends and where ConteXt begins ;-) At first it seemed to me that is was more of a subject for the MetaPost mailing list.

By the way, I don't use ConTeXt and as far as I kwnow, it is precisely people who don't use ConTeXt that usually write "input mp-tool" of "input metafun" at the beginning of their MetaPost files.  Whereas ConTeXt users directly use MetaFun, I suppose. So I will be a little awkward when I ask about it in the ConTeXt mailing list :-)

Thanks again,

Franck Pastor