[metapost] space in labels

Daniel Henry Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Oct 5 00:05:54 CEST 2012

Ranousse <ranousse at gmx.com> wrote:

>I want to write a label with a space in it
>label("my label", position);
>Instead of a space a kind of minus caracter is written.
>Is there a solution to my problem without using btex my label etex ?

That's an encoding problem. The default font is cmr10, which
doesn't have a space character. In the position usually occupied
by the space character is a sort of accent mark (used to build the
Polish "suppressed l").

You need to switch to a font that has an actual space.
Something like

    label("my label" infont "ptmr8r", position);

to select Times Roman. You need to pick a font that appears in
pdftex.map (used to be psfonts.map; when did that change?).
You may also want to set
    prologues:=3;

Dan
--