[metapost] Redefine ..

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 4 19:08:18 CEST 2012

On 4-6-2012 18:00, Troy Henderson wrote:
> I am drawing 3D graphics, and many of my "points" are colors instead of
> pairs.  Of course, the colors are projected to pairs eventually, but I
> would like to define paths of colors directly with .. by doing something
> like
>
> path p;
> p:=(1,2,3)..(4,5,6)..(7,8,9);
>
> I have a vardef P that transforms colors into pairs, and thus I can always
> just do
>
> p:=P(1,2,3)..P(4,5,6)..P(7,8,9);
>
> but I would like to be able to omit this P usage.  My attempt thusfar is
>
> ---
> def pathnode primary a =
>     if color a:
>        P(a)
>     else:
>     fi;
> enddef;
>
> primarydef a .. b =
>     pathnode(a) .. pathnode(b)
> enddef;
> ---
>
> but this is not working.  I would appreciate any insight into how I might
> fix this so that I can use .. between pairs.

def P (expr a) = (redpart a, greenpart a) enddef ;

def pathnode (expr a) =
     if rgbcolor a :
         P(a)
     else :
     fi
enddef ;

let normaldots = .. ;

primarydef a .. b =
     pathnode(a) normaldots pathnode(b)
enddef;

draw (1,1,9) .. (2,1,6) .. (3,2,5) .. (4,1,5) ;

however, the next challenge is to catch a 'cycle'.

Hans