[metapost] svg_out like ps_out?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 09:00:48 CEST 2012

Currently it is possible to generate PS code for MP figures using
mp_ps_ship_out and access it from mp_run_data's ps_out member. (About
this I have a few questions which I will separately ask.) Can the
developers please add svg_out and mp_svg_ship_out to generate and
access SVG code likewise?

Is this perhaps already implemented in the current trunk or shall I
file a wishlist item for this at tracker.luatex?

I hope it would be simple enough as all you would have to do is to
redirect the SVG output function to write to an mp_stream instead of
an external file.

Perhaps you could also merge ps_out and svg_out into a
shipped_contents or something.

The reason I ask this is: Qt already has a QtSvg module where I can
pass the SVG contents directly to be rendered on screen
(http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qsvgrenderer.html#load-2) whereas
with PS I'd have to redirect it through yet another library like
Poppler Qt which I'd like to avoid.

--
Shriramana Sharma