[metapost] More on memory leaks

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Mon Oct 10 21:18:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Pretty soon, there will be other numerical data types added for arbitrary
> precision calculations. Such objects have to be dynamically (de)allocated, and
> the current situation is a precursor for that.

Sounds like it's best I not try to touch it, then.  I'll do my
variable-instance stuff on the last version before the dynamization, and
any merging can just be left to the future (if it isn't all rendered
obsolete by MetaPost 2.0 before then anyway).

I hope my notes on my efforts to solve the memory leaks will be of some
use to you.  It looks to me like that AVL-tree callback thing may be the
most significant obstacle to putting in deallocation calls everywhere
they're needed, but that should be easy to solve for someone with better
knowledge of the AVL-tree code than I have.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.