[metapost] drawdot issue

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Mar 14 08:59:51 CET 2011

On 03/13/2011 02:29 PM, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> schrieb Stephan Hennig:
>
>> it is also stroked with the pen given to withpen.  Which makes for a
>> dot that is too large.
>
> That is incorrect.  The circle size corresponds to that of the withpen
> statement (as can be seen from the second variant),but the stroke is
> drawn with the currently active pen.

It is the other way around, in fact, but it is not clear to see
that without manually editing the postscript file to remove the
'stroke'. drawdot is defined as:

def drawdot expr z =
   addto currentpicture contour makepath currentpen shifted z
   _op_ enddef;

So I think it does what is it supposed to do. Simple rule: don't
use drawdot with an 'withpen pencircle' specifier unless you want
to achieve a special effect.

Best wishes,
Taco