[metapost] Does MetaPost catch on?

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Sep 8 07:56:52 CEST 2010

>> Regarding troff, I must admit that I only used it for writing a few
>> manual pages (abt. five per decade).  I wouldn't recommend it for
>> anything else.

Given that heirloom troff handles OpenType fonts natively (including
OpenType features), supports a variant of the paragraph layout
algorithm used by TeX, and manages hanging punctuation too, to name a
few features, I really wonder how you come to that conclusion.

  http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools.html

For an example, look at

  http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools/troffdemo.pdf

The whole package has an installed footprint of about 3.4MByte.

I know that GNU troff is a bit behind w.r.t. new features $(Q#|(B since I'm
the maintainer I know that too well...

    Werner