[metapost] Does MetaPost catch on?

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Sep 7 17:06:32 CEST 2010

Am 03.09.2010 09:19, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> I wonder: is MetaPost viable enough such that if it was more visible,
> it would actually be interesting to the outside world?

True.  But there are not only power-users out there.  We all can live
with (and sometimes work around) MetaPost's limits.  I think, that is
not because we are TeX users.

> Unfortunately, I think not. Being a general picture programming
> language, it has none of the specific strengths of the more field-
> specific languages (R, GNUplot, graphviz, ...) and as a generic
> language, it is quite limited compared to other offerings
> (asymptote, PostScript, ..., even pic).

MetaPost has some features that make it unique and (hopefully)
interesting for the outside world, such as implicit equation solving and
being macro based rather than a functional language.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig