[metapost] problem with 'dvips mproof'

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Sat Oct 9 23:27:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

when processing a file s.mp containing the lines

prologues := 3;
beginfig(1);
   label("test", origin);
endfig;
end

as

   mpost s
   tex mproof s.1
   dvips mproof

I have difficulties watching the resulting file mproof.ps in GSview or
PS_View (remember, this is dvips output).  Symptoms are different for
different values of variable prologues.

PS_View

   0   -   The files looks fine with text "test" probably rendered in
           CMR.

   1   -   Fine again.  But at closer inspection the kerning between
           letters changes slightly in comparison to prologues:=0.

   2   -   Exactly the same as with prologues:=1.

   3   -   The text is visible, but rendered with something else than
           CMR (probably Courier).

Results with GSview are similar, with one notable exception.  With
prologues:=1, the text "test" is not rendered at all.  With
prologues:=3, "test" is also rendered in Courier.  Due to slow redrawing
in GSview I cannot see if kerning changes between prologues=0 and 2.

As an additional observation that is possibly related, if TeX output is
converted to pdf via

   dvipdfm mproof

dvipdfm ends with a message

> ** WARNING ** 6 memory objects still allocated

if prologues is set to 2 or 3.

Since this is not about previewing MetaPost output, but PostScript
generated by dvips, I had expected no issues other that differences in
file size for varying values of prologues possibly.  Is this a bug in
mpost or dvips or is it expected behaviour?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

System:

standard TL 2010 (updated) on Windows 7