[metapost] verbatimtex bug?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Oct 30 08:52:40 CET 2009

Dan Luecking wrote:

> The error seems to come from the following output of mpto -tex. Note the
> "%" right after cmr8, which causes TeX to continue reading the tfm name
> until line 3, and thinks the font name is "cmr8{}":

Adding an extra space+percent fixes the problem:

verbatimtex
  \font\viiipt=cmr8 %
etex

even though that could be seen as just a workaround for a bug.

OTOH, there have been explicit requests to make sure spaces before
and after tex blocks are ignored, and it is not feasible to
actuall parse the TeX code to discover whether or not tex is
still in the middle of tokenization at the end of the input.

> Note: I had to use TeX Live 2008's mpto.exe. It would certainly
> help with debugging if the facilities of mpto were available with
> the current metapost.

There is a --debug switch, which leaves all temporary files in place,
but I can add an 'mpto' personality to the next release as well (there
is a --dvitomp switch already)

Best wishes,
Taco