[metapost] quadratic bezier paths ?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 5 11:19:00 CEST 2009

Dan Luecking wrote:

> It is unclear if you are proposing new data types.

I am following this discussion with interest, but if you are
indeed asking for a new datatype then I must warn you that you
have to come up with a better reason than given so far for me
to consider adding a data type that is not supported by all
the output backends, nor totally generic, nor actually
simplifies anything.

Laurent wrote:
> One motivation might be to
> facilitate conversions between type1 fonts based on cubic bezier
> curves and truetype fonts based on quadratic bezier curves.

But as you can read nor write truetype nor type1 fonts in
metapost, I would say that the 'sane' way to convert quadratic
into cubic fonts or vice versa would be to use a program that
specifically deals with fonts, like fontforge.

Straight lines at least have going for them that they are supported
by the backends and that they make some internal calculations easier
than they are right now.

Best wishes,
Taco