[metapost] mpman: title page

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Mar 1 11:14:36 CET 2008

Hi,

Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Karl Berry schrieb:
>
>> P.S. \logo was undefined in last night's run of mpman.tex.  Didn't check
>> if it's already been fixed, sorry ...
>
> I've replaced the manual definitions by package mflogo that defines \MF
> and \MP for the logos.  As a side effect more logo fonts are now used in
> the manual, presumably more different optical sizes (which is not wrong,
> IMHO).

Like Karl, I would have been just as happy with

   \def\MF{Metafont}
   \def\MP{MetaPost} % not used, I know

and done away with the somewhat distracting logo font switches. That
we happen to have a font containing only AEFMNOPST does not mean that
this font should therefore be used for names consisting of AEFMNOPST.

In the Maps journal I suppress all such 'typographic logo effects'
except for the lowered E in Knuth's \TeX macro, because they are
distracting to the reader and generally make typeset material look
like high school papers.

Just my 2c,

Taco