[metapost] ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [readfrom files=30].

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Feb 10 11:57:47 CET 2008

Stephan Hennig wrote:
>> Binary file miktex/bin/MiKTeX207-mp.dll matches
>
> Is the one in the DLL (a Windows library) what I'm looking for?

Yes. It is defined in the web source.

>> but it is not in the manual.
>
> Is closefrom only intended for closing files read from or also for files
> open for write operations?  I.e., does this statement

Closing "write" files is different from closing "readfrom" files.

   All \ttt{readfrom} files that have not completely been read yet
   are closed\index{files!closing} automatically when the program
   terminates, but \ttt{readfrom} files can also be closed explicitly
   by using ${\tt closefrom}\ \descr{file name}$.%
   \index{closefrom?\texttt{closefrom}}
   It is wise to add explicit \ttt{closefrom} for files you do not need
   to read completely (i.e. until EOF is returned) because otherwise such
   files will continue to use internal resources and perhaps cause a
   \ttt{capacity exceeded!} error.

Best wishes,
Taco