[metapost] ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [readfrom files=30].

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Sat Feb 9 18:28:32 CET 2008

Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
> Ulrik Vieth wrote:
>>
>> I vaguely recall that John Hobby implemented a closefrom primitive
>> in a subsequent version of MetaPost (0.64 according to the changelog),
>> but it is possible that the documentation is missing in the manual.
>
> Yes, quite right. The primitive is there,

Where's the code?  I couldn't find closefrom outside any packages here:

> D:\texmf>grep -ir "closefrom" *
> doc/metapost/featpost/typesetinspace/mp-tool.mp:%   closefrom (name) ;
> doc/metapost/featpost/typesetinspace/mp-tool.mp:  closefrom (name) ;
> metapost/context/base/mp-tool.mp:%   closefrom (name) ;
> metapost/context/base/mp-tool.mp:  closefrom (name) ;
> metapost/exteps/exteps.mp:    closefrom F;
> metapost/exteps/exteps.mp:    closefrom file;
> Binary file miktex/bin/MiKTeX207-mp.dll matches

Is the one in the DLL (a Windows library) what I'm looking for?

> but it is not in the manual.

Is closefrom only intended for closing files read from or also for files
open for write operations?  I.e., does this statement

> This writes\index{files!writing} a line of text to the specified output file,
> opening the file first if necessary.  All such files are
> closed\index{files!closing} automatically when the program terminates.  They
> can also be closed explicitly by using {\tt EOF}\index{EOF?\texttt{EOF}}
> as the \tdescr{string expression}.

date from before the introduction of closefrom?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig