[metapost] problem with drawoptions and fake Euro symbol

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Nov 18 11:09:14 CET 2007

Hi Stephan,

>> An internal all-or-nothing switch would be possible, the commands that
>> come from mpx files are pretty easy to isolate. But ...
>
> That means in the first case in a file
>
> prologues := 3;
> beginfig(1);
> picture pic;
>   pic := btex X\vrule width20pt height.5pt X etex;
>   addto pic doublepath fullcircle scaled 100 withpen currentpen;
>   drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled 5bp);
>   draw pic;
> endfig;
>
> beginfig(2);
> picture pic;
>   pic := image(draw fullcircle scaled 100);
>   addto pic also btex X\vrule width20pt height.5pt X etex;
>   drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled 5bp);
>   draw pic;
> endfig;
>
> end
>
> the circle wouldn't obey drawoptions as well, since the pic originated
> from an mpx file?

No. Just after its initial creation, each of the objects that result
from the addto commands resulting from the btex ... etex stuff would be
flagged as coming from an mtx file, and that flag value would be checked
whenever a <drawing option> would be applied later to that particular
object. A <drawing option is> one of:  withpen, dashed, withprescript|
withpostscript, or one of the various color-related options.

As normal, drawing options would be applied at the initial creation
(this is needed for dvitomp/color), but any later (image) drawing
options would be ignored. So, the final result of both your examples
would be identical.

Best wishes,
Taco

PS I just noticed there is a typo on manual page 87.
It says "withrgcolor" in the syntax description.