[metapost] macro path

Steve MC Han hmc0907 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 19:22:34 CEST 2007

Hi,  I have trouble with metapost. Could someone give some insight for this?

  This is the error message.

  <<! Unable to make mpx file.
l.78 label.bot(btex
                    $\hbox{\sf Rectangle}$ etex, (0,-.6u));
6 output files written: 2MS4.1 .. 2MS4.8
Transcript written on 2MS4.log.>>

  So, I tried set the path straight by typing "c:\TexLive2007\bin\win32" at command prompt, it magically worked. But with different file, I still have trouble with similar error message. This time, even with set path like above, it didn't work.

  <<mpost --tex=latex 2MS3
This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(2MS3.mp [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]makempx: Command failed: la
tex mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.log
  >> 2MS3.mp
>> 2MS3.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.156 label.lft(btex
                     $A$ etex, z8);
11 output files written: 2MS3.0 .. 2MS3.10
Transcript written on 2MS3.log.>>

  This trouble started after I did "mptopdf". At first, mptopdf didn't create pdf files even thoufgh there was no error message. So, by consulting Contex conversion to pdf manual

  http://tex.aanhet.net/context/mirror/general/sources/mptopdf.pdf

  I typed "pdftex --ini mptopdf" at prompt command and after that it produced pdf files but now mpost didn't work with the above error message. I think path

  c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

  is screwed up somehow.

john kitzmiller <jkitz at verizon.net> wrote:

> First of all, it is better to put your own files into the texmf-local
> directory. This prevents the files from being lost if you replace
> TL2005 by a newer release.
>
> The texmf-local tree should have the same directory structure as
> texmf-dist because files are searched in paths defined in texmf.cnf,
> which is the main configuration file.
>
> After new files had been installed you have to run texhash in order to
> update the file database.
>
> There are some significant differences between TeXLive and MikTeX.
> An introduction is in
>
> texmf-doc/doc/english/texlive-en/live.pdf
>
> If you are new to TeXLive it is highly recommended to read this file.

That is all excellent advice, thank you. The texhash brought success
with the file in texmf-dist, but not when put in texmf-local. I have
tried changes to texmf.cnf as directed in

http:/www.ctan.org/installationadvice#installationguidelines

but no success yet. As newb to both TexLive and Linux, there is much to
learn, but I sense there is something obvious I am missing. Sorry this
is off MPost topic per se, and thanks for your tolerance.