[metapost] documentation of length operator

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Sat Mar 10 01:18:47 CET 2007

Larry Siebenmann schrieb:

> This list is a sign that metapost is alive and aims to be autonomous.

Another point is that "The METAFONTbook" isn't electronically
available, AFAIK.

> Incidentally, it is time that the core language features of metapost
> that were new with "mpgraph.pdf" finally appear in the reference
> manual tables mentioned above.

What about moving appendix B of mpgraph to mpman, completely?

> Stephan, perhaps you could accellerate the improvement of metapost by
> preparing such reference manual additions.

Good idea.  I've checked-out <URL:svn://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/metapost>
and attached a small patch to this mail.  It adds to mpman.tex

(i) a missing troff-related label, and

(ii) "length <string>" to the list of operators.

I did not add "length <picture>" since that is mentioned in mpgraph.tex
and I didn't want to start with a bigger change on my own (and lack of
time of course).  I'll see if I can contribute more later.  Where should
patches be sent to?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig