[metapost] how to regenerate .mem files

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jan 5 21:51:08 CET 2007

  > Hi, I follow the guid in the INSTALL file of metpost0.932 to
  > update my metapost.  But i have no idea of regenerate the .mem
  > files in my TeX installation.  Can anybody give me some advise!

On UNIX systems (including Mac OS/X) try

   texconfig init mpost
or
   fmtutil --byfmt mpost

In TeXLive on Windows you probably have to use the second version.

Don't know about MikTeX.  But maybe it is described in its manual.
A mem file in Metapost is somthing like a format file in TeX.  If you
don't find anything about re-creating mem files, try to find out how
to re-create format files.  They are most likely created by the same
tool.

It's always best to use the tools provided by your TeX system because
they also make sure the generated files are moved to the correct
directories.

If you do not succeed, please tell us which TeX distribution you are
using and on which platform.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25