[metapost] Metapost

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Jul 20 16:26:19 CEST 2006

Hi,

cag51+ at pitt.edu wrote:
> I know you probably get this question a lot, but I've been trying for the
> last 6 hours to download metapost and can't figure it out?  How do you do
> it?  I'm using windows XP (professional) - I can't read the .tar things,
> and the other thin - win32 - doesn't install.  How should I be doing this?

You need to have a functional TeX installation first, that is a
prerequisite on any installation of MetaPost.

For WinXP, I recommend the MikTeX 2.4 system (free download from
http://www.miktex.org ). After succesful install of miktex, you have
to download

https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/download.php/18/metapost-0.901-miktex.zip

and replace miktex's files with the ones in that zip. Afterwards,
you have to refresh the miktex file database and regenerate the
memory dump files, but I do not know preciselu how to do that.

I am sorry that this is not more obvious. I am on Linux myself,
making it very hard to write installation instructions for Windows.

Good luck,

Taco