[metapost] re: MetaPost 0.891 announcement

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 23 07:56:31 CET 2005

Larry Siebenmann wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
>  > This new implementation of turningnumber is a better than the
>  > original, even if it is not yet perfect. A temporary solution
>  > that make the problem have a lesser sting while at the same
>  > time a real resolution is being sought is a valid way to deal
>  > with bugs in software.
>
> I suppose there are users who have learned to live
> productively with the old behavior of turningnumber -- by
> miscellaneous tricks. Will the proposed interim revision not
> cause them hassle -- since the old familiar turningnumber will
> suddenly be *utterly inaccessible*?
>
> Is there anyone who will be noticeably *helped* by the
> interim turningnumber? It seems similar to easy posted
> macros.

i think that making things better does not hurt, imagine that we go 64 bit ...
some users will be surprised by bugs in their code showing up (obscured by
imprecission); the alternative is to stick to less optimal / buggy behaviour and
  let mp end up being unused; an alternative could be to freeze the current mp
(for which John has no time to maintain) and start something emp but since we
have Johns blessing, and he is still involved this way, we prefer to continue
the mp thread as done currently. Also, most power users are/will be in the
metapost list -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE