[metapost] Strange infont results

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jul 8 10:01:09 CEST 2005

Hi Ovidiu,

Ovidiu Gheorghies wrote:

> - For s0 and s1: ``<<'' and ``>>'' are replaced by one corresponding
> specific character, but the bounding box is larger than the text:
> the more such characters exist, the longer than the resulting text the
> bounding box is.

I have this problem too, it is caused by tyxtt being a virtual font.
You shouldn't use virtual fonts with infont, because they are never
interpreted as a virtual font, only as a "normal" TFM. As a result
of that, the encoding vector is usually wrong and vf-generated ligatures
remain "hidden" until being processed by either dvips or pdftex
postprocessing.

> - For g0..g3: in g2 the closing ``]'' is not shown, but in all other it's
 > - For c0 and c1: in c1 the closing ``}'' is not shown, unlike in c0.

Both examples work OK for me. Is your tyxtt.vf really OK? (perhaps try
running vftovp -- vptovf on it). Also perhaps there is a problem with
your metapost executable (I use 0.901)

Taco