[metapost] TeX and MF: Fast-loading of core image

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jan 5 16:51:55 CET 2005

Hi Laurence,

A loooong time ago, there used to be dump/undump binaries in the
Linux distro's, but that was in the a.out era; a prehistoric age
wherein CPU cycles were more time-expensive then disk I/O.

Nowadays, people do not worry that much about cpu cycles burned
during initialization, because actually loading extra junk from
the harddisk is often slower that alloc()-ing.

About the only program that bothers with undumping these days is
an ancient relic: GNU Emacs. It has a gazillion subroutines to
deal with all the combinations of binary loader/file format, and
the Elf/Linux one reportedly works.

You may want to look at this file:

   http://www-ap.fnal.gov/~kriol/source/HotStart.tar.gz

The guy who created the tar file (and website) shares your rather
morbid interest in the subject ;-)

Greetings, Taco