[OS X TeX] question about fontspec/manually installing packages

Gerrit Glabbart glabbart at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 18:50:49 CEST 2006

Am 26.04.2006 um 13:30 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 26.04.2006 um 12:15 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:
>
>> thanks for a careful and detailed explanation. I just want to add
>> one small detail to the point quoted above: on my system, "locate"
>> does not search and index the "Home" directory, and I think this
>> is the default in OS X (I'm on 10.4.6):
>>
>> tas at homer:~  % locate memoir.cls
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/memoir/memoir.cls
>
> No, you're wrong here! Locate is a system tool, not related to any
> TeX, but to BSD. Locate works on a file similiar to those ls-R
> files in teTeX. This file, by default /var/db/locate.database,
> needs to be updated daily (or nightly). If locate can't find files
> in your home directory than because its data basis is out of date.

That was my first reaction, too; however, "locate"'s man pages state:

"locate searches a database for all pathnames which match the
specified pattern.  The database is recomputed periodically, and
contains the path-names of all files which are publicly accessible."

The "publicly accessible" bit struck me as important, so I tried to
locate an old file I knew was in my home folder -- and "locate" did
indeed come up empty-handed. A file in /Users/Shared (i.e., publicly
accessible!) was "locate"d without fuss. Good to know, that!

Cheers,
Gerrit.