[OS X TeX] My ! has disappeared in Times

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 25 08:46:39 CEST 2006

Le 25 avr. 06 à 06:08, Ronald Bruck a écrit :

> After numerous system updates I recently noticed that the
> exclamation mark no longer appears in equations.  That's rather
> embarrassing.  Here's a sample LaTeX file:
>
>    \documentclass{article}
>
>    \usepackage{times}
>    \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptmx}
>    \usepackage[mtbold]{mathtime}
>    \usepackage[mathcal]{mathpi}
>
>    \begin{document}
>    $$\int_0^\infty x^n e^{-x}\,dx = n!$$
>
>    \end{document}
>
> But it typesets the n! as n, a rather wrong and annoying error.

Before attempting to diagnose exactly what's wrong:

- You're using the (default) OT1 encoding which is no longer fully
supported in current incarnations of the PSNFSS package (of which the
times package is a part).

- You're using the times package which is a deprecated part of
PSNFSS, and isn't needed anyway given the mathtime package makes all
the necessary declarations.

- I'm not sure what your redefinition of \rmdefault does. It may as
well be what's causing your problem.

See /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/psnfss/psnfss2e.pdf.

What you can try is replacing:

>    \usepackage{times}
>    \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptmx}

by

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

or

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

and see what happens. If that still doesn't work, you may try to add
immediately afterwards (and before calling mathtime):

\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}