[OS X TeX] GhostScript assistance needed!

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 16:09:47 CEST 2006

Le 24 avr. 06 à 15:45, Piet van Oostrum a écrit :

> epstopdf extracts the bounding box from the EPS file and prefixes
> the file
> with some additional Postscript code to shift the lower left corner to
> (0,0) and to set the pagesize to the size of the EPS. After that
> the gs
> command is quite simple:
>
> gs -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoRotatePages=/None -
> sOutputFile='$OutputFilename' '$InputFilename' -c quit

An alternative might be to use the script ps2pdf, part of the GS
distribution and installed alongside it (in /usr/local/bin/ in case
you used i-Installer). The command it (or rather ps2pdfwr, which it
calls) contains:

exec $GS_EXECUTABLE $OPTIONS -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite "-
sOutputFile=$outfile" $OPTIONS -c .setpdfwrite -f "$infile"

is similar to the above one (except for the AutoRotatePages option).

However, if you want to make your script robust enough to deal with
most sorts of malformed .eps files produced by the various
applications around (MATLAB in particular was notorious, some time
ago, for producing malformed .eps files), you might simply end up
rewriting epstopdf.

On Mac OS X >= 10.3 you've also Apple's own pstopdf (in /usr/bin/),
but I imagine the audience you're targetting is cross-platform.

Peter Dyballa has also posted here, some time ago, a piece of code to
add a bounding-box correction to the PDF output of ps2pdf. IIRC it
required the external tool pdfcrop, available separately from CTAN
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/pdfcrop/>. However, since
you're looking for a tool based on GS exclusively, I guess that might
not be an option?