[OS X TeX] Re: White vs. Transparent?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 7 23:35:56 CEST 2006

On 7 Apr 2006, at 6:21, Bill Rowe wrote:

> On 4/6/06 at 10:30 PM, maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl (Maarten Sneep) wrote:

>>> I am weakly considering a Mini but even with an Intel inside do not
>>> want to be the idiot outside. In clear, I have no desire to run
>>> windows. Is it possible to clear it entirely from the Mac?
>
>> Don't worry: a Mac will never come with Windows, you still have to
>> jump through hoops to get it, not to mention pay a lot of money to
>
> While I applaud the sentiment and think it is the most accurate
> prediction that could be made at this time, I will point out it
> wasn't that long ago a similarly strong statement would have been
> made about Intel processors in a Mac.

But with the OS, the license is Microsoft's, while anyone can buy
CPU's from anyone who makes them, licensing an OS is something
different. I don't think Apple will include it with the standard OS
install, simply because they don't own it, and the current malware/
virus situation will certainly make them hesitate buy buy licenses
from MS. What will happen in three years? If you know, make sure to
invest wisely.

By the way, John Gruber has a nice take on this situation: http://
daringfireball.net/2006/04/windows_the_new_classic

Maarten.