[OS X TeX] Postponed display

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 15:03:42 CEST 2006

Le 6 avr. 06 à 14:49, Josep M. Font a écrit :

> I have a related, similar question. How can you tell the {figure}
> environment to place its contents alone in a page, the next one to
> its appearance in the source file ? I think the [p] optional
> argument puts all floating figures at the end of the document...

If that happens, it's a sign one of the figures is too tall even to
fit within a single page by itself, and is postponed until the very
end of the document together with all the following figures. Remedies:

- Possibly use the \flushbottom declaration, or \enlargethispage*
{1000pt} (but how can enlarging a specific page apply to a float?).

- Modify the various parameters affecting the placement of floats.
These are listed on pp. 199--200 of "LaTeX: a Document Preparation
System (2nd edn)". A fairly boring and tedious process. For example,
a paper I'm working on starts with:

%\renewcommand\topfraction{.95}
%\renewcommand\bottomfraction{.95}
%\renewcommand\textfraction{.05}
\renewcommand\floatpagefraction{.9}
%\renewcommand\dbltopfraction{.95}
%\renewcommand\dblfloatpagefraction{.95}

though I can't remember why exactly I chose these values.

- The float package may also have a cure for your problem.