[OS X TeX] Can't find required tool

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 5 08:44:37 CEST 2006

Le 4 avr. 06 à 19:17, George Gratzer a écrit :

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> In any case, try looking at your path in Terminal:
>>
>> echo $PATH
>
> this gives
>
> /usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
>
> How did it get messed up?

On a healthy TeX system it should contain at least, for a PPC Mac:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/
powerpc-apple-darwin-current

and for an Intel Mac:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/
i386-apple-darwin-current

Order shouldn't really matter for TeX. The part /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/
usr/sbin is the Apple default, the addition /usr/local/bin is
required by GhostScript and the addition /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-
apple-darwin-current is required by TeX (with powerpc replaced by
i386 on an Intel Mac).

The GhostScript addition is created when configuring the
corresponding i-Package, and corresponds to CLI (Command Line
Interface) Activation. As far as I remember, a dialog pops up asking
whether or not you want CLI Activation (default is Yes).

The TeX addition is created when configuring the corresponding i-
Package, and corresponds also to CLI Activation. The interface is
different (at least in Expert mode, the only one I've used for quite
some time): it's one item to check in the initial list of
configuration tasks (checked by default), and once the configuration
is launched you are no longer asked about CLI Activation.

In case both CLI Activation tasks have been successful, you should
have at the end of /etc/csh.login stuff like (for tcsh):

## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Fri Mar 17 06:54:03 CET
2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if ("${uid}" != "0") then
   set path = ( ${path} "/usr/local/bin" )
endif
## Do not remove the next line
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Fri Mar 17 06:54:03 CET 2006
## TeX modifications start at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if ("${uid}" != "0") then
   set path = ( ${path} "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current" )
endif
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX modifications end at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006

at the end of /etc/profile stuff like (for bash):

## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Fri Mar 17 06:54:03 CET
2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
   export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Fri Mar 17 06:54:03 CET 2006
## TeX modifications start at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"
   export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX modifications end at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006

and, on Tiger, at the end of /usr/share/misc/man.conf stuff like (for
man pages):

## TeX modifications start at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006
## Do not remove previous line
MANPATH_MAP	/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current	/usr/
local/teTeX/man
## Do not remove next line
## teTeX modifications end at Mon Apr  3 16:53:06 CEST 2006

If that's not the case, I would suggest re-running the Configure
stage of the two i-Packages, rather than modify the config files
yourself manually.

The problem with Archive & Install is different: an Archive & Install
of OS X would have moved the entire /usr/ and /etc/ trees (including
TeX, GhostScript and their config files) to a place /Previous Systems/
Previous System1/ where they are no longer used (and they remain
invisible in the Finder as well). But Software Update doesn't perform
an Archive & Install, it's only a complete install of OS X from its
DVD that allows it. Or has this changed?

In any case, the presence in your case of /usr/local/bin at the
beginning of the default path indicates that your system has already
been modified in some way, compared with the OS X default.