[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

V. Yu. Shavrukov vshavruk at science.uva.nl
Tue Apr 4 13:29:05 CEST 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 11:42, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 28.03.2006 um 00:15 schrieb V. Yu. Shavrukov:
>
>> is there a way to stay attached to a given icc profile rather than
>> just individual spot colours?
>
> SIPS. Apple's scriptable image processing system. Very strange user
> interface on the command line, but it offers to embed or to extract
> profiles, tags, some properties -- but does not support PDF, only:
> jpeg | tiff | png | gif | jp2 | pict | bmp | qtif | psd.

Thanks.  I found an executive summary of that at

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2035.html#TNTAG58

OS X also includes a collection of AppleScripts (/Library/Scripts/
ColorSync) one of which will allow to attach a profile of your choice
to those types of files.

With pdftex however I am primarily concerned with pdf files.  Should
I wish to place a tiff into pdf, William Adams tells me that pdftex
will preserve the attached profile, which is nice.  This however does
not solve the problem for coloured elements (text or graphics)
produced by pdftex itself or its extensions.  Beginning with 10.3
there is something called Quartz Filters (see Filters pane in
ColorSync Utility) that can be applied to pdf files, where the user
can produce filtres of their own — with 10.4, in Automator-like
style.  (I take it, this is what William Adams means by "pdf
services")  Judging from descriptions, this is something different
than an interface to SIPS (I may be wrong here).  Apparently one of
the "actions" allows to adjoin a profile to pdf files that would
apply to, say, all untagged rgb data in the file.  Unfortunately all
I've been able to find by way of documentation are complaints that
there isn't one, but this circumstance may yet fail to stop me from
making and using one or two filtres.

sincerely,