[OS X TeX] Pointer to .bib file

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Sun Apr 2 15:11:24 CEST 2006

Gerrit, Maarten,
I should have thought about the validity of my path statement a
little longer.
It works fine now with
\bibliography{/Users/winfried/Documents/Bibliography/Bibliography}
and
\bibliography{Bibliography} after I had put the link to the above
location into /Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/
I make backups of the entire drive and have not thought of backing up
Library separately which would secure, as you say, mail messages AND
the bib file in one go. I wonder about your backup policy, what do
you do ?
Thanks to both of you.
Winfried

On 2 Apr 2006, at 13:13, Gerrit Glabbart wrote:
Am 02.04.2006 um 12:55 schrieb Winfried Zettelmeyer:
> Hallo all,
> until now I have been building and using my .bib file in the same
> folder where the other TeXshop files reside. I want to relocate it
> now higher up in the folders tree to:
> Mac 100 GB (main drive)/Users/winfried/Documents/Bibliography/
> Bibliography.bib
>
> The command \bibliography{~/Users/winfried/Documents/Bibliography/
> Bibliography} does not work (the last is Bibliography.bib).

The tilde ~ is shorthand for the home directory, in your case, /Users/
winfried. So currently, you're telling BibTeX to look for a folder
called "Users" inside your home directory.
Try either ~/Documents/Bibliography/Bibliography or  /Users/winfried/
Documents/Bibliography/Bibliography (without the tilde).
Good luck,
Gerrit.