[luatex] Why obsolete the fontforge name space?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Mar 24 17:32:33 CET 2009

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans:
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>>> If there are sufficient funding, write such binding is beneficial.
>> depends ... 99% of dev in the tex world is not funded and still beneficial
>>

> TeX and MetaPost was funded by AMS,
> XeTeX is funded by SIL,
> NTS, LaTeX , etc. are funded by TUG and local groups.
> LM, Gyre are funded by NTG, and other gourps.
> LuaTeX is funded by the Oriental TeX project and many others.
> pdfTeX is originally  funded by the authors' advisor (it is a phd project).
> TeXWorks is funded by TUG.
> hyph-utf8 is a SoC project

all are partly funded (often much more times goes in it and this is
definitely true for luatex which gets some funding from lugs for the
coding bit but on top of that is done in company and private time only
because we have some freedome to do it and because we like it); pdftex
was not funded at all; context is not funded at all; anyhow ... not that
important an issue

> writing such a binding might take one or two weeks' work.

anyhow, you can try to get funding, but keep in mind that it's not part
of the luatex project and loading modules has a real low priority in the
roadmap (first the whole system needs to be stable); also, we've chosen
ff as basis and that will not change